Lee's story - in his own words

I'm called Lee Mather and in mid 1997 I got married, then in November 1997 I sustained a serious head injury due to a motorcycle accident.  When I was discharged from hospital,  about 5 years later my wife couldn't handle the change in me so she divorced me. From what I've been told, I was riding down a main road when a car pulled out on me, I swerved to avoid him and hit the kerb on the other side of the road and flew off the bike head first straight through a solid brick wall to a twenty foot drop on the other side.  The good thing is that the drop was into a field so at least it was a soft landing (ha ha).


Apparently I was given an hour and a half to live but they were wrong, but I was then in a coma for three months. 


When I woke from my coma and was able to get up I needed the assistance of a motorised wheelchair.  Now this you will find funny, from what I've been told, I escaped from hospital and was going down the main road when the wheelchair began to feel sluggish so as anyone would, I pulled into a petrol station thinking that it needed some fuel.  The petrol station then rang the hospital to inform them that one of their patients had escaped, to which the hospital responded by sending an ambulance to pick me up.  When I got back to the hospital, my motorised wheelchair was taken off me and exchanged for a manual one to stop me repeating my escapism exploits.


I was told that I would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life but I didn't like that idea so I did everything I possibly could to combat that outcome (being stubborn has some benefits).  I was then walking with the use of crutches, I then progressed onto walking with just a stick and the so called professionals told me that I would never walk unaided but I proved them wrong.  I now walk unaided, the only think that I can't do is run, but you never know what the future will bring.


I joined a gym in 1999 which is the reason I have responded so well to my physio, I first started the gym when still in a wheelchair and I had two physios with me to help on and off the machinery.  I now live on my own with care coming six days a week.


My care is organised by a company called Northern Case Management and they try to respect me and my wishes and I now have the best CASE MANAGER anyone could wish for, a lady call Dawn Ellis-Heap at the Leeds office.