An occupational therapist can help clients to improve the skills used in every day activities which we call ‘occupational performance skills.’ Loss of independence through acquired disability frequently has a negative impact on the client’s every day life.
NCM occupational therapists carry out a thorough assessment to design the rehabilitation programme using activity as a vehicle to achieve improvement.
- Set goals to bring about an improvement in occupational performance skills
- Adapt the activity
- Change the way a client performs the activity
Selection of activity is crucial and clients are encouraged to select self care, productivity and leisure activities in order that they work towards restoring a balance to their daily structure.
The provision of equipment can also improve the level of independence in everyday activities. The occupational therapist will be able to arrange assessments so that you try out specialist items and equipment such as wheelchairs, profiling beds, baths & bathing aids, kitchen gadgets etc. before making your final selection.
The occupational therapist will also be able to assist in the identification of alternative accommodation. This may be a temporary arrangement or a permanent relocation with adaptations. If the property requires some adaptation the occupational therapist will liaise with the architect to ensure that the building works take into account the needs of all occupants and that the necessary equipment for installation is included. Clients will take part fully in the assessment and selection of equipment for installation and try them out prior to making the final choice.
Specialist Neurological Assessment
For clients with acquired brain injury we are able to offer a formal assesment using the Chessington Occupational Therapy Neurological Assessment Battery (COTNAB). This is a fully validated battery of tests for the assessment of functional and perceptual dysfunction with neurological patients aged 16 upwards.
It tests four functional areas:
- Visual perception
- Constructional ability
- Sensory-motor ability
- Ability to follow Instructions
The benefits of using COTNAB:
- Identify client difficulties in a standardised format
- Focus further OT assessment and treatment programme
- Identify best method of learning for the client (i.e. can the client follow written instruction?)
- Allow more efficient handover and coaching of support workers
- Enable support plans and guidelines to be tailored to client requirements
- Develop further insight of difficulties to client
- Raise awareness to family, friends and others of client problems
- Highlight cognitive ‘hidden disability’ that are often masked by the client
- Score sheets act as a report & provide a baseline for intervention and assessment of improvement.
Contact one of our team today on 0161 763 4734 for some friendly and professional advice. Whatever your situation, we promise we will do our best to help.